Gluten free almond cookies with coconut and chocolate chips. These healthy cookies are delicate, chewy and tender.
Why are these cookies so good?
- According to Dr. Oz, almonds are a super snack. He places a handful of raw almonds in water for 3-4 hours, to soften them, then snacks on it all day long.
- Coconut is classified as a “superfood”. Kimberley Snyder, a nutritionist and New York best-selling author, lists coconut as a beauty food that promotes youthfulness. Definitely a good thing.
- Chocolate chips gives it a sweet flavour kick.
The combination of all these ingredients is a home run. I can easily eat these cookies guilt free.
Almond meal replaces the flour in this recipe and is available for purchase at most stores. If you prefer to make your own, pulse sliced blanched almonds in a food processor. Do not over pulse or you’ll end up with almond butter. I pulsed mine until it resembled coarse granules, not too fine.
Simply combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl then combine the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour the wet into the dry and mix until combined. Form cookie dough into 1 inch balls and flatten slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
I wish all cookies were this healthy and easy to make.
Adapted from The Sprouted Kitchen.
- 1¼ cups almond meal
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine almond meal, chocolate chips, coconut, brown sugar, flax meal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg until light and frothy Add coconut oil and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add egg mixture into dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls and press down to flatten just a bit.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
- Transfer to wire rack. Let cool.