These tart lemon squares are perfect for the lemon lovers out there. An easy to make buttery shortbread crust and a tangy lemon filling.
I don’t normally do a lot of sugar but everything in moderation, right?
For the crust, confectioners sugar was used because it contains cornstarch. Cornstarch helps make the crust more tender. I also used a smaller 9 x 9 inch square pan instead of a 9 x 13 inch pan. This is why my shortbread crust turned out to be a little thicker. But I liked that. I’m getting a shortbread cookie with the tart lemon all at once. 🙂
It’s also a nice change from desserts that are always sweet. Speaking of different flavors…
This reminds me of a berry called the Schizandra Berry, also called the five flavored berry. When you taste it, it is sweet, sour, salty, bitter and pungent, all at once. It comes in powder form. Taking a small teaspoon was an eye-popping experience. If you can find it, it’s definitely worth a try.
But this tart lemon bar is pretty amazing, easy to make and delicious.
My brother is a huge lemon fan. He might just get lucky since I’m in the mood for sharing.
Tart Lemon Squares
For the Crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter grass-fed or organic
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar organic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour organic
For the Lemon Filling
- 1 cup sugar raw *
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour organic
- 3 large eggs free range
- 2 lemons juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9 x 9 inch glass pan with parchment paper. For easy removal, leave some overhang.
To make the crust:
- Blend together unsalted butter, confectioners sugar, sea salt, and flour until well combined.
- Press firmly into the prepared pan using the bottom of a spoon or glass cup to smooth and evenly distribute the dough.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
To make the lemon filling:
- Whisk together sugar, flour, eggs and lemon juice until well combined.
- Pour over the slightly cooled baked shortbread crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the center no longer jiggles.
- Cool completely and let chill for at least an hour before cutting into squares. Clean knife between each cut for beautifully cut bars.
- If desired, dust with icing sugar.