Are you on a pizza kick like I am? These crazy good pizza twists are loaded with onions, peppers and filled with cheesy goodness.
So much fun to make. Go ahead and get your kids involved.
The best thing about these pizza twists is just how versatile it is. You can change it up and add any ingredients you want. For this recipe I added onions, peppers, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
If you need some helpful tips on working with yeast, see my post for Justin’s Homemade Pizza Crust.
The fun part here is we’ve mixed the veggies right into the dough.
Once its risen, roll it out.
Smother it with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Lightly press the cheese into the sauce and fold the dough over. It’s now double in thickness so roll it out again.
Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rise for another 30 minutes. Ahh they look so good! Can’t wait…
Bake in a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 12-13 minutes.
Here they are fresh out of the oven. Soft, light as air and dare I say… fluffy pizza twists.
Serve with extra sauce… or not. It’s your choice. Crazy good!
Inspired by The Ivory Hut.
- 3 scant cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons quick-rise instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 – 7.5 oz can pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add warm water and olive oil.
- Mix at low speed until incorporated.
- Add diced veggies.
- Increase to medium speed and mix for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Place kneaded dough in a lightly greased bowl and roll it around until it’s lightly coated with oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size about 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface
- Roll out dough into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Spread pizza sauce on top.
- Add a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Fold dough in half and roll out again to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut into strips using a pizza cutter and twist. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and let dough rise, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake 12-13 minutes.