Would you like to know how to make these beautiful rose water and pistachio meringue kisses?
They are pillowy light and oh so yummy. Just in time for Valentine’s Day. Make a big batch and share them with your friends. You’ll be sure to get lots of hugs and kisses in return.
If you’re new to whipping egg whites, see my post on Salted Caramel Swirl Meringues for some helpful tips.
Rose water may be a little difficult to find. It’s often used in Middle Eastern cuisine. I found a bottle at Atlas Specialty Supermarket and Persian Cuisine.
For the pistachios, I placed them in a sandwich bag and finely ground them using a rolling pin. There’s no cleanup which is a good thing.
To make the meringue kisses, place the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl. Using the whisk attachment of your stand mixer, mix at high speed until stiff peaks form. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Continue whisking for 6 minutes. Add cream of tartar. Whisk for a further 2 minutes.
Fold in rose water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the ground pistachios.
Turn your piping bag inside out and paint stripes of red food colouring along the sides. Fill the piping bag with the meringue, cut the tip and pipe out your kisses. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining pistachios.
Bake for 30 minutes. Turn your oven off and allow the kisses to bake for a further 30 minutes.
Adapted from The Meringue Girls.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons finely ground pistachios
- 1/2 scant teaspoon rose water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl.
- Whisk at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Scrape the bowl down and whisk for 6 minutes until stiff and glossy.
- Add cream of tartar and whisk for 2 minutes further.
- Fold in rose water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the ground pistachios.
- Turn your piping bag inside out and paint stripes of red food colouring along the sides.
- Fill the piping bag with the meringue, cut the tip and pipe out your kisses.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining pistachios.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to bake for a further 30 minutes.