Looking for a few great tips to making crispy oven baked french fries at home? Not only is this is a healthier option, there’s no oily mess, no fuss and best of all no deep frying.
Russet potatoes are high in starch and considered one of the best potatoes for french fries. Wash and scrub thoroughly. Cut off any sprouts, bruises or green spots. Leave the rest of the skin on. It’s a good source of fibre. Cut lengthwise into 1/3 inch strips.
Soak potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes. This is key. Soaking pulls the starch out of the potatoes. Pulling the starch out makes the potatoes a little drier, crispier and allows them to brown up better. Drain and dry well on a kitchen towel.
Toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. For a more savoury flavour, add a few dashes of sage, rosemary, or thyme.
Scatter fries on a foil lined baking sheet in a single layer. This ensures even baking and browning.
Halfway through baking, flip them over.
That’s it. Out comes these beautifully crispy and golden fries.
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sage, rosemary, thyme, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Wash and scrub potatoes.
- Cut lengthwise into 1/3 inch strips.
- Soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain and dry well with a kitchen towel.
- Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add a few dashes of sage, rosemary, or thyme, optional
- Scatter fries onto prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 30 minutes. Flip fries over halfway through.